Today’s world is connected! When almost everything is connected through the internet, then why not the cars? Yes, Connected Car and Autonomous Vehicle Technology has become the new norm in the automobile industry. The future of connected cars is bright – according to Statista, a report reveals that the market distribution of connected cars in the market is expected to increase by 70% in 2025. The evolution of connected cars is predicted to be high in the future by increasing vehicle safety, improved traffic flow, and improved driver experience. Connected cars are not only safer for road users but also less harmful to the environment, which will enhance our overall transportation experience.
Smart features of connected cars
- Auto Crash Notification: In case of any emergency, the auto crash notification feature will send your GPS location via SMS notification to your emergency contacts. In addition, this feature also enables you the deployment of airbags in the car during any road accident.
- SOS / Emergency Assistance: While driving on the road and facing any kind of trouble, you can just press the SOS button on the app, which will connect the support centre to assist you immediately.
- Valet Mode: If your car is on valet mode while driving, that means the feature ensures your privacy as in to limit your car speed by locking the AVN screen.
- Geo-fence Alert: With such feature, you can set a digital perimeter for your car so that you will get alert at regular intervals in case the perimeter gets breached.
- Speed Alert: It will help you set a speed limit to avoid over speeding while driving, which means this feature will enable you to be alerted if speed is exceeded.
- Stolen Vehicle Notification: The app with such feature will enable you to receive a notification immediately if any outsider enters your car.
- Stolen Vehicle tracking: If your car is stolen, vehicle tracking feature will let the police find the car.
VOICE COMMAND VIA AI-BASED TECHNOLOGY –
- Hands-free Calling: While driving, if you need to call someone, then just say his name or mobile number that will connect you with the concerned person.
- VR POI: Through voice command, you can search for the Point of Interest (POI) like fuel pumps, eateries, hospitals, etc. and without even taking your eyes off the road.
- VR Time & date: When you are driving, use voice command if you need to know the about time and date.
- VR-Weather: You can get yourself updated with weather conditions of varied locations just by using voice commands throughout the driving. This feature will let you know about the weather status either for the current day or for nine days in the future and in the past.
AUTONOMOUS VEHICLE –
- Driverless cars concept: Autonomous vehicles are possible to operate with the driverless concept due to the widespread adoption of 5G as it has low latency and high accuracy. Due to such features as low latency, 5G autonomous vehicles can connect, manage, and respond to the data in real-time even in 5 milliseconds.
- Sim card technology-based vehicle: As a sim card (or e-sim technology) is inserted in the autonomous vehicles. AVs use sensors, that not only generate loads of data but also transfer this data quickly in terms of handling, processing, and analysis.
- Transform the commuting system: 5G connected cars/autonomous vehicles will transform the way of our commuting system as they will save on accident avoidance annually and reduce car insurance costs.
- Vehicle-to-everything communication(V2X): This is possible due to the reliable internet connectivity on 5G, and vehicle-to-everything communication is something by which a connected car or any autonomous vehicle can easily spread data from other nearby vehicles, infrastructure, road sensors, and more.
- 3D road mapping: This feature provides autonomous vehicles with a 360-degree view of the roads, which ensures self-driving accuracy. This also enables vehicles such as connected cars to maintain situational awareness, for instance, the vehicle with 3D road mapping technology will let the vehicle autonomously drive the car or to automatically stop the car if there is an obstacle.
The connected car technology is possible because of 5G/4G connectivity – 5G network will enhance the connected cars even to smarter and enhanced experience. With 5G data, connected vehicles (CV) or autonomous vehicles (AV) will be able to detect dangerous or risky road conditions swiftly as the road sensors could convey street data to the road contractors by enabling them to address such issues consequently.
When 5G/4G is playing a pivotal role in the domain of connected car technologies, network maintenance (monitoring and testing) is the foremost part to look after. For all connected features to work seamlessly a stable network would be required. Therefore, car manufacturers will have to emphasizeNetwork Testing.
RantCell use cases that matter to autonomous vehicles manufacturers
- RantCell is used in identifying vehicle embedded modem issues, for example comparing data rate, and latency of modem versus standard devices while driving or while remaining stationary. Low performance on modems means the full potential of CVs/AVs cannot be used.
- While selling CVs or AVs it's important to consider which MNO SIMs to be used for that specific region. Randomly selecting MNO SIMs and ending up with poor services means most of the Connected Vehicle (CVs) functions do not work therefore leaving customers dissatisfied with their cars. Hence important for auto manufacturers to build their own data about connectivity before choosing the MNO service. RantCell enables auto manufacturers to build their data about mobile networks.
- We currently support AV trials to identify the best-connected route between the start and end points of the trial route. We are also developing APIs to identify the best-connected route using AI/ML technologies for our customers.